Friday, March 18, 2011

Black and Tan Pork Chops

I made these pork chops for the St. Patty's day dinner.  I also made an AMAZING warm red cabbage, bacon, goat cheese salad to accompany the pork.  I thought about posting the recipe but it is one of the recipes that cooks can use as ammo.  Or as a person who likes to entertain it is one of those recipes that can keep your guests enthralled in your cooking.  So yes the salad was that good, and sorry you can't have the recipe but if you are lucky I will make it for you:)  I hadn't seen my awesome friend Brittany in far too long so I invited her over for a St. Patty's day dinner that we actually drank wine with instead of Guinness because beer kind of just hurts to drink these days, but I made sure to include Guinness in my cooking.  I found the recipe for the glaze on the Food Network's site and I adapted it, as for  cooking the pork I did my own thing.  I chose to make pork this year instead of corned beef because a) I tend to get tired of corned beef, b) takes a while to cook, and c) they usually only sell it in large chunks....and it was just the two of us for dinner.  So pork it was! I will say that I used the glaze as a sauce over the pork and it is pretty sweet which normally I dislike, but I added salt to it and in the end over the pork it was just perfect.

Serves 2

The Ingredients
 2 boneless pork chops
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1- 12oz bottle Guinness beer
1/2 teaspoon corn starch
Olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

The Process
1.  In saucepan heat up some olive oil over medium heat.  When hot add onions and garlic and cook about 3 minutes.

2.  Lower heat slightly and add 1 tablespoon Guinness and 1 tablespoon brown sugar.  Cook for 3 more minutes.

3.  Then add rest of the Guinness, honey, brown sugar, and ginger.  Bring to boil and then lower to simmer for 20 minutes.

4.  While sauce is simmering heat some oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Rub pork chops in salt and pepper (and nature's seasoning if you have it).

5.  When skillet is hot add pork chops, sear each side (about 3 minutes each side).  Then turn heat down slightly and add vegetable broth and cover pan as to steam the pork chops.

6.  After 5 minutes flip pork chops and cook for another 5 minutes or until cooked through.

7.  When sauce is done, turn off heat and add corn starch and mix well.  The sauce does not get thick.  At this point add as much salt and pepper as you want to taste.  I added quite a bit of salt but make sure to add and taste add and taste.

8.  Slice pork chops up into thin slices (after letting meat rest for 5 minutes) and generously pour sauce over the top.

This is a very sweet savory dish....super super good!  And seriously the cabbage salad....holy shit, amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment