Monday, March 22, 2010

Corned Beef Brisket

I do realize that this is the first beef product I have put on my blog.  I absolutely love beef and I was raised on red meat.  The thing is, is that my significant other does not eat beef simply because he claims that the texture is like a wet towel!  I keep trying to convince him otherwise especially since the meat I make in general does not have that texture because it is extremely important to not over cook meat, moisture is the key to any cut or kind of meat.  Plus I love cooking for others so if I make a nice piece of beef I will be the only one eating it and honestly I find no joy in that.  This week will be different, my boyfriend went to visit his family...so get ready here comes the beef!


Serves 5
Adapted from Sunset


Ingredients
1 piece (3.4lbs) of corned beef brisket
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
The little spice packet that comes with the corned beef

The Process
1.  Set oven to 325F degrees

2.  Rinse the corned beef off thoroughly under cold water to rinse away extra corning salt.

3. Trim off extra fat on brisket, but leave the fattiest side alone (need fat for cooking).

4.  So a roasting pan is what is suppose to be used for this, but since I don't have one yet I used a semi-deep metal pan that was big enough to easily fit the brisket, and a stove top vegetable steamer (the kind that looks like a silver little spaceship when closed).  I simply placed the spaceship in the metal pan and opened it up as a platform to set the brisket on, fatty side up.

5.  Next I placed the onion and lemon all over the brisket (top and sides). And I sprinkled the little spice pouch over the top of the onions and lemons that were on the brisket.

6.  Next I boiled water to put in the bottom of the pan, as much as you can fit without letting it touch the bottom of the brisket (about 4 cups).

7.  Then cover the entire pan with tin foil.  Then bake till brisket is tender 3 1/2 hours (1 hour per pound).

8.  In small bowl  mix together Dijon mustard and brown sugar.

9.  Take brisket out of oven after 3 1/2 hours and turn oven to broil.

10.  Take off tin foil and spread mustard mixture over the top of the brisket (over onions and lemons).

11.  When oven is hot enough put brisket back in and broil until mixture becomes golden about 8 minutes.

12.  Take out and let meat rest for 7 minutes.  Then cut 1 1/2 inch think slices against the grain and eat lots!


Lets go beef!  I could use some more iron anyways....
Might I add a friend also made a DELICIOUS shepherds pie to accompany this wonderful st. patty's day meal.

Picture from: http://www.locokinegrindz.com/2010/food-101-st-patricks-day-corned-beef-cabbage/

No comments:

Post a Comment