Monday, March 8, 2010

Huevos Rancheros

Here is one of my own creations again.  I decided late sunday morning...well perhaps it was noon already hehe...that I needed some huevos.  My dad use to always make them for us as children and they were oh so tasty.  I also often get huevos in restaurants if I go out for breakfast, it is one of my standbys.  My other standbys are cornbeef hash, eggs benedict, chicken fried steak, and thanks to Helser's on Alberta St. potato pancakes!  Anyways with a meal like this I can't even count the many ways to create them...so here is my version.

Serves 2

Ingredients
2 white corn tortillas
2 large eggs
1 1/2 ounces of goat cheese
1/2 can black beans with juice
1/2 tablespoon of garlic salt
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
 Smart Balance (butter substitute)
Spray olive oil
Salsa
Sprinkle of cilantro
Tapatio

The Process
1.  Put beans with juice in small saucepan over medium low heat.

2.  Add garlic salt and cayenne pepper to beans and stir.

3. Heat  2 skillets one large and one medium.  Spray the medium skillet with oil and turn to medium heat.  Turn large skillet to medium high heat.

4.  Spread smart balance sparingly on both tortillas front and back, then put into large skillet when hot and brown each side about 1minutes each side.

5.  Add the 2 eggs to medium skillet when hot and cook to preference, in my case they were over easy, then set them aside.

6.  When the tortillas are browned on both sides generously put goat cheese on each tortilla (still in skillet) and turn to medium heat until cheese slightly melts or becomes mushy about 4 minutes.

7.  Beans are fully warmed up by this point, eggs are done and tortillas are ready.

8. Put tortilla on plate cheese side up.  Put two big spoonfuls of black beans on tortilla.  Next put egg on top of that.

9.  You can then add a little salsa, tear up a bit of cilantro for the top, and of course I always add Tapatio to most breakfast items....so feel free to SPICE IT UP!

Note: if you are feeling really hungry you will want two to yourself....so double the recipe.

Picture from: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sahuber/rpd/Egg%20Drop.html

1 comment:

  1. Whe are you going to make some for me on Sunday morning, it's only fair!

    ReplyDelete