Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shrimp and Okra Gumbo with Creamy Yogurt Grits

So as I said previously my parents were out of town so they had me up to house sit the crazy dogs.  Before they left I bought the newest cooking light magazine cause they have so many good recipes.  Anyways my dad was flipping through it and said " i want this upon my arrival home sunday night."  Of course my automatic response is "u wish!" ...but then I thought that would be nice of me, it does sound good, and I can add one more thing to my blog.  So surprise here it is, and yes it was very very good.  Not to mention my mother has a camera so I was able to actually take my own picture of this dish:)

Serves 4
Adapted from Cooking Light

The Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
4-ounces smoked ham, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2/3 cup celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound fresh okra pods, sliced
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1(28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 pound pre-cooked, tailless big shrimp
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Grits:
2 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
1 cup fat-free Greek-style yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper


  
The Process
1.  Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large sauce pan.  Add flour and cook for 1 minute or until lightly browned and stirring constantly with a whisk.

2.  Add chicken broth and stir with whisk until thick.  Pour into a bowl and set aside.

3.  Wipe same pan clean with paper towel.  Heat up last tablespoon of olive oil in pan over medium heat.

4.  When hot add onion and ham, cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

5.  At this point start boiling water for grits, when boiling gradually whisk in the grits, then cover and reduce head to a simmer.  Simmer for 8 minutes or until thick.

6.  After ham and onion cook for 10, add yellow bell pepper, celery, thyme, garlic and okra.  Cook this for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

7.  Add broth mixture, water, cayenne, paprika, ground black pepper, salt, allspice and tomatoes.

8.  Bring to boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.  Then stir in shrimp, cook for 4 minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley in end.

9.  Put grits in bowl and put gumbo with parsley over that.

Some nutritional info as well:
calories 300, fat 10.5g, saturated fat 1.4g, protein 26.6g, fiber 7.3g

1 comment:

  1. Hey, what's my dinner doing doing on your blog? Mmmmmmmmm.....Good!

    ReplyDelete