Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spicy Asian style Shrimp

 This is a recipe that I created woohoo!  Because this is my own and I do not yet have a working digital camera there is not a picture to show off the dish.  I will be getting a camera in June, so please be patient and know the pictures are coming.  I might also add that the first time I used this marinade it was for tuna steaks and in that case you would just want to double the marinade.  Anyways, I am constantly exploring the Asian food world with all their amazing spices, vinegars, and sauces.  I mostly love Koren and Vietnamese foods and of course I like Japanese for their sushi.  I recently went to this little Asian market on N Killingsworth called Lao Vieng.  They had many treats and the ingredients I needed to make chicken pho for dinner that night.  I might warn you though, upon entering get ready for a stinky fermenting fish smell...not so pleasant.  This is also a very flexible recipe, depending on your favorite ingredient within the recipe add more of it for the personal touch.  While I have only used this marinade for seafood, I do believe chicken and pork would also work well. Enjoy!

Serves 2 as a main dish.

Ingredients
2 cups large shrimp, (pre-cooked) thawed
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 of a lime, squeezed for juice
1 1in. cube ginger, grated
1/2 of a Serrano pepper, minced
1/2 teaspoon Asian garlic chili sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil

The Process
1. In medium bowl add rice vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, Serrano pepper, garlic chili sauce, garlic, and cilantro.  Mix well.

2.  Add thawed shrimp to bowl.  Put in refrigerator to marinate for 1/2 hour.  Marinating for 10 minutes works too, but is obviously not as tasty.

3.  Pour oil in skillet and heat skillet over medium heat.  Add shrimp and marinade to skillet and cook for 3 minutes or until hot.

Picture from: http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/phrase/1117/shrimp.html

4 comments:

  1. Gonna try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it would be AMAZING with tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it and used on a big green salad last night! ummmmm good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! that is what i love to hear :)

    ReplyDelete