Monday, March 8, 2010

Warm Roasted-Potato Salad (emphasis on salad)

I love potato salad, all different types but my favorite kinds are usually vinegar based with no creaminess.  I do have a special place in my stomach for the heart clogging creamy mayonnaise style potato salad...but it is unlikely that I will post one of that sort on my blog because do you think those are low fat? YEAH RIGHT! Haha plus they are inferior in my taste opinion.  I decided to make this salad last night  for a potluck that I was attending in honor of the Oscars.  Sometimes potlucks can be so awkward and too many different types of food involved...but not this one.  I had the wonderful company of two dear girlfriends, a puppy wiener dog and a fluff ball kitty.  The salad also went extremely well with the other dinner items which were roasted chicken and cucumber salad.  This salad is one that could stand on its own for a light dinner on a hot summer evening. The salad was sooo damn good I wanted to eat the whole bowl...but I had to share





Adapted from Sunset "myrecipes"
Serves 4 as a side dish






Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds small yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 marinated artichoke hearts (about 2 jars), cut into bite size pieces and keep 2 tablespoons of marinade
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 cups salad mix
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and pepper


The Process
1.  Scrub and cut potatoes into bite size pieces.  Toss with  1 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil and a couple pinches of salt, make sure all pieces are coated.


2.  Heat oven to 400 degrees and put potatoes on a baking sheet.  Bake the potatoes for 30minutes or until golden.


3.  In the mean time, in a large salad bowl mix together remaining olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, capers, tarragon, and the 2 tablespoons of saved marinade from artichokes.


4.  Cut up the artichoke hearts and tarragon, add to large salad bowl and mix.


5.  When the potatoes are done, take out of oven and let sit for 7-10 minutes to slightly cool as to not wilt the salad mix.


6.  Add potatoes to bowl and the salad mix.  Season to taste with salt and pepper, but be aware that it is a naturally salty salad.  Stir thoroughly and eat like crazy.

Note: And might I add some nutritional facts to make you feel great!  Per serving: cal 86, fat 2.5g, protein 4.1g, and fiber 6.8...awesome...I know!


Picture from: http://www.ivillage.com/warm-roasted-potato-salad-artichokes/3-r-87147

1 comment:

  1. This potato salad was far and away one of the best potato salads I have ever tasted. My mother has a recipe from her mother and I have to say that I am extremely partial/biased for that one, but I have had my share of potato salads in my time, and this roasted potato salad is not only delicious, but it is also nutritious... I am not a fan of the overly mayo-ed salads, so this one is right up my ally. Great job Kirsten!










    also i love you

    ReplyDelete