Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Semi-Homemade Pizza

I chose this title because I despise that woman on the food network that has that dumb show called "semi-homemade"...but I'm not saying I am like her, I'm doing it despite her.  I decided I wanted a good old fashion pizza and movie night (like the ones you had when you were a kid with the family).  So we rented the movie "white noise" a pretty scary movie about EVP with Michael Keaton.  Nice night for a movie and pizza because it was pouring rain outside....in Oregon....imagine that.  So this pizza is simple and easy but once again it turned out especially tasty so here it is.

Slightly adapted from my parents recipe
Serves 4 (2 pieces each)

Ingredients
1/2 large yellow onion, chop coarsely
8-ounces chicken broth
1 bag Trader Joes wheat pizza dough
1/2 bottle pizza sauce (squeeze bottle)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2-ounces goat cheese
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I love cheese, so it isn't necessary to use the 2 full cups)
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup broccoli, chopped
4 chicken tenders, frozen (thawed is fine too)
1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped

The Process
1.  In medium saucepan, add chicken broth, yellow onion, 3 cups water, and chicken tenders.  Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.

2.  In the mean time heat oven to 450 degrees.  Follow the directions on the Trader Joes dough, and roll out on baking sheet.

3.  Spread the olive oil over the rolled out dough, then sprinkle with parmesan.

4.  Bake dough for 5 minutes, take out and pop any bubbles that may have formed.

5.  In a small skillet, add a drizzle of olive oil and turn to medium heat.

6.  When skillet is hot add broccoli and saute about 5 minutes, or until al dente.

7.  Take poached chicken out of saucepan and cut into bit size chunks.

8.  Spread pizza sauce on dough.  Sprinkle goat cheese, and mozzarella over pizza.

9.  Put on pizza: basil, chicken, broccoli, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts.

10.  Put pizza in oven and bake until crust is golden brown and the toppings get a little crispy, about 25 minutes.

I also always love to eat my pizza with Tapatio (hot sauce) and/or red chili flakes....so do it!  I made a cucumber salad to go with this pizza (a recipe I found on blogspot) and it was not very impressive so I will spare you.

Picture from: http://www.geekologie.com/2007/12/02-week/

No comments:

Post a Comment