Sunday, March 14, 2010

Salmon Cakes with Asian Sauce

So I have been super sick with strep throat, hence the zero recipes that have been posted since.  Wednesday evening my throat started hurting and by Thursday morning I couldn't even swallow.  I'm still trying to get over this horrible sickness but now I'm worried it might be turning into meningitis.  Apparently splitting headaches that feel like death are a symptom and strep can turn into that. So once again back to the doctor tomorrow.  Anyways after being in bed for 96 hours (4 days) I decided though I don't feel great I need to get the hell out of bed, so I did and made some food with friends.  I assured them I was no longer contagious and began making my own version of salmon cakes the same recipe works with crab too.

Serves 4 (2 cakes each)

Ingredients
2 large eggs
3 5-ounce cans of pink salmon (boneless and skinless), drained
10 whole wheat Ritz crackers
2 teaspoons Colman's dry mustard
1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons Nature's Seasoning (by Morton, Optional)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (Smart Balance is fine)
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
2 teaspoons wasabi
Pepper
Olive oil

The Process
1.  Put little oil in skillet over medium high heat, when hot add the yellow onion.  Saute until soft and semi-translucent about 4 minutes.

2.  In large mixing bowl add salmon, onions, eggs, crackers, cilantro, garlic salt, dry mustard, nature's seasoning, and pepper to taste.  Mix well.

3.  Take a small handful of salmon mix and make a cake about 2 inches thick and 4 inches diameter (does not need to be precise).  Like the size of a small cookie but thicker.  Do this with all the mix and set aside.

4.  Add a generous amount of oil to large skillet, set over medium heat.

5.  Add as many cakes that fit comfortably to skillet when hot.  Cover skillet and cook each side about 6 minutes or until golden brown.  You can turn up the heat to quicken the process if need be.

6.  For sauce mix mayonnaise, sesame oil and wasabi.


These cakes are my Asian style of salmon cakes.  Often times I just put flat leaf parsley in place of the cilantro and I don't make a sauce.  The cakes are good enough to not even have a sauce, a drizzle of lemon and pepper tastes great on top too.  As an end note today I went to a new breakfast place on N Lombard called "The little red bicycle cafe."  It is amazing!  I got the Oregon tuna melt which was made with fresh albacore, a special homemade relish, lemon mayo and many other great things.  My boyfriend got the biscuits and rosemary mushroom gravy which was also extremely tasty.  I highly recommend this place but be ready for lots of people.  Next we decided to go to the Portland Nursery, one of my personal favorites.  Though it is a little early to start gardening I bought some herb starters, other wise I grow most everything else from seeds.  Pretty much I can't wait to start my garden again yeah!

Picture from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danwashburn/3007727152/

No comments:

Post a Comment