Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pork and Vegetable Pot Stickers and Spicy Dipping Sauce

Let me preface this post with we went to Uwajimaya.  And of course I wanted to buy everything!  We did get a little can of supposed pineapple juice with coconut pulp....tasted more like corn syrup and gelatin blarg!  Anyways I decided I wanted to make pot stickers upon seeing the gyoza wrappers.  So from there I thought about what I wanted to stuff the pot stickers with and I decided on the rest of the ingredients.  Might I add, I made these while house sitting for my parents and they have all the best pans and cooking supplies so I was in heaven!
This is my own recipe:)

Serves 4 (makes 40 pot stickers)

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground pork
1/2 of one radicchio, finely chopped
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 large carrots, grated
1 1/2 tablespoons ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 package of gyoza wrappers (the circle shaped kind)
2 tablespoon olive oil

For dipping sauce:
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic chili paste
1 tablespoon ginger, grated

The Process
1. In big bowl add ground pork, radicchio, green onions, carrots, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha sauce, black pepper and mix very well.

2.  Lay out 40 gyoza wrappers on a clean/dry counter top, and add a half a tablespoon of meat mixture in the middle of each wrapper.

3. Wet the edge of the gyoza wrapper with water and fold over meat to create a half circle.  Gently press down on edge to make sure the wrapper is sealed around meat.  Do this with all 40 wrappers.

4.  Put large skillet on stove add the olive oil and heat over medium heat.  When hot put each pot sticker in pan standing upright.  This means the edge that you sealed will be sticking up in the air.

5.  When each pot sticker is golden on the bottom, then put in 1/2 cup water and cover pan immediately in order to steam the pot stickers.

6.  When all water has evaporated then pot stickers are done.  About 5-6 minutes.

7.  Make the sauce.  In a small bowl combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic chili paste and ginger.  Mix well and eat tons!

Note that I call it spicy dipping sauce...that means it is spicy...pretty damn spicy so use less garlic chili paste if you can't handle it:)  Also the pot stickers did tend to stick to the pan so be ready for that and expect to soak the pan afterwords...and yes there might be a couple of pot stickers that rip because they are so stuck, but don't worry it's not the end of the world.  Once again I also had trouble deciding what color these pot stickers are because they are fried and steamed.  So while in truth they are more of a beige color, I am going to put them in the golden section because honestly what sounds more appetizing beige or golden pot stickers?....my point exactly.  And while these are fried it is for a brief second and the pork is lean, so this is once again a healthy meal!

Picture from: http://www.tasteto.com/2008/01/16/snack-time-feature-the-search-for-fresh-east-asian-treats-part-1-of-2/

1 comment: